Saturday, January 28, 2012

Home Sweet Home.. First week with Zalen Moise

We arrived home Monday, January 23rd a little after 10 p.m.  Zalen Moise was exhausted and fell asleep quickly after we left the airport.  He didn't even wake up when we transferred him to our car or when we brought him into the house.  The kids were all still awake anxiously awaiting our arrival.  They gathered around Craig, who held Zalen in his arms, and were so excited, jumping up and down.  They were disappointed that he was asleep and they could not play with him.  We put Zalen to bed and then squashed each of them with hugs and lathered them with kisses.  We sat and talked to them about all that we had missed.  It was good to be home.

I woke up early Tuesday and crept down the hall.  Yep, he was still there.  It was surreal.  Tears crept in my eyes and praise flowed from my heart that God chose us, our family to bestow such a blessing.  I prayed that he would love his brother and sisters and that his bond to them would be just as natural as it was to Craig and I's when we first met him.  The kids woke up one by one, repeating my early morning sneak peek into the room.  I hushed them into the living room as we waited for him to wake up.  Pom-Po started breakfast, fried potatoes, boiled eggs, bacon, toast and hot tea.  Finally he began to stir... and it was reported that he was waking up.  We all creeped down the hallway eager to see his reaction to this new world.  He sat up and blinked groggily.  I sat by him on the bed and embraced him and the kids silently followed me - climbing onto the bottom of the mattress.  The kids excitedly told him "Mbote" Hello in Lingala.  Zalen studied them curiously.  I pointed to each of them, saying their names, hoping he would recognize them from all the photos I had shown him through the week.  Finally he smiled and one of them grabbed his hand to show him a toy, the toy drill.  He was soon playing and checking out his new world.  He loved the drill and was fascinated by it.  I think by the way he was holding it he thought it was a gun.  :-)  After a brief time of playing we went and had breakfast.  As we sat at the table I drank in the blessing that our family was complete.  The scenario my heart had dreamed of for months was happening right before me.  The kids hardly touched their breakfast at first as they took in Zalen dipping his toast in his tea.  It did not take long, and Aleigh was trying it as well. :-)


The girls had a special present for him that they put together while I was gone. They wrapped it with papers and paper towels and wrote his name in it. Inside was bubbles and a sucker and some bracelets and stickers (things from around the house) He loved it. He blew some of the bubbles and of course loved the sucker.

I happily just sat back and watched the kids get to know Zalen.  Avery was driving him a little crazy because she just wanted to hug and kiss him -- trying to get him to sit on her lap etc.. I told her he was almost bigger then she was and was not a baby.  :-)  She is just naturally so motherly.  Ryan eagerly showed him all his toys and soon they were driving around cars and playing action figures.  Later we got out the play and they all played catch.  
Later that afternoon Craig took them all outside to play.  Zalen loved his coat but he did not like his hat.  We had purchased a 3T coat at a yard sale but he barely fit in it.  He is definitely 4T.  

The first thing they did was swing for a bit.  It was so funny watching Zalen try to figure it out.  He looked so funny trying to balance his weight in the swing.  He quickly decided it was much more fun to just jump out of the swing then stay in it.  

After a bit of swinging they went on a walk down the trail in the wagon.  It was just a good day - having him home.  

So far the only meal he has not completely devoured was spaghetti.  I don't think he cared for it that well, but ate half of it.  Leaving food behind is usually not even an option for this little guy.  It drives him nuts when my kids don't finish their food because he wants to eat it. 

Sleeping has been going well.  Craig lays down with him for about 10-15 minutes until he drifts off to sleep and then returns to his bed.  Once asleep Zalen sleeps like a log.  The other morning he did wake up a bit early but Ryan climbed down into bed with him after hearing him whining and they went back to sleep for another couple of hours.  It was so sweet.  Ryan is such a good brother.  

I can hardly believe such a good adjustment to everything new.  I keep wondering when this honeymoon stage will end.  I attribute it all to ANSWERED PRAYERS and God working in a mighty way in Zalen's heart.  I prayed fervently for God to prepare his little heart for his new family, and I believe he did just that.  I praise God from the depth of my soul for his amazing goodness.

Zalen is very outgoing and since he has been doing well we called the family and told them Zalen was accepting visitors.  It has been really awesome to watch him meet so many that have loved and prayed him home.

It started snowing yesterday so Zalen got to see snow for the first time.  We are looking forward to going out this afternoon and playing in it.  Tyler and Trey came over to join in on the fun!!

So far Zalen has really loved playing with the drill and brushing the Barbie's hair.  He loves brushing hair and also loves Aleigh's long hair.  He loves hats, glasses and zippers.  He loves music a lot and is so cute when he dances.

Stay tuned for pictures of his first sledding experience and his first time at church....

1 comment:

  1. This is an AMAZING blessing. Thank you for all the details! We have been so excited to read about your journey together!!!! Cant wait to hear more about your new family!

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Divine Moments

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...