Friday
Friday we stayed at the hotel and just hung out there. It was nice to not go anywhere and just chillax. There is two other families who are adopting staying here at St. Annes that we have made fast friends with. We are each with different agencies/places but have all bonded over our similar experiences. It is nice to share conversations in English and Moise has made his first friend outside of the orphanage, a little girl named Brittnelle who is being adopted by the True family. At first they were quite shy of one another but the day before we left they had finally started playing together, laughing and talking together in Lingala. Just so you know -- Moise loves to dip things. He dips his bread in hot tea. We thought this quite weird but Brittnelle did this also. Ohhh, and they love mayo. Seriously, at one restaurant Moise was eating the mayo by spoonfuls. Fries are dipped in mayo and ketchup sometimes. I wonder if he will like ranch dressing, which in my opinion is the ultimate dip.
For an early dinner we met Dixie and Ben Hatch, the missionaries who were very involved with AFDECO, the orphanage Moise was from. They were amazing people and we enjoyed our dinner and conversation with them. They took us to a French restaurant at the French school. I ordered a Crepe and it was very good. Eggs, ham and cheese. Moise and Craig shared half of a chicken and french fries. Moise got an attitude with us when we took the chicken bones away. He seriously wanted to eat them. Our waiter spoke a little English and I was floored when he asked us if we knew anyone who would take a little boy because his nephew was not being cared for. I guess it was because we had Moise with us. I gave him a phone number for an orphanage. But it just broke my heart.
After a nice evening with the Hatches we retired for the evening.
Saturday
SATURDAY! aka EXIT letter day. Saturday we woke early to go to the Bonobo Reserve so Moise could see the monkeys. It was a very neat place and I am glad I went. We had the most fun watching the babies. They were so human like. We talked to people who spoke English there as well. They had come for holiday. The girl was originally from the Congo but had since moved to the states. I guess Bonbos are similar to chimpanzees but not the same. We were told they were more human like. While we were there, one of the baby Bonobo's stole the worker's hair scarf right off her head and ran away with it. Then he/she was putting it on their head. It was so funny. It was also neat to see all the vegetation that is so different and tropical. To see bananas growing right on the tree…. I soaked in all the beauty. Moise was thankfully not scared of them, but he wasn't enthused either. He watched them very seriously - and imitated their screeching a bit.
After a nice morning walk at the Bonobo Reserve we went to dinner at the lake and ate outside. It was very nice. A guy came up the river in a long canoe, paddled to the dock and just strolled up to eat lunch. How cool is that? I had to laugh because when I told someone I was going to Africa, they asked if I would be floating down a river in a little boat to get to Moise. Some people watch too many movies I think. After a nice lunch, Craig had to go stick his feet in the water. I wanted Moise to come down and get a picture with him but Moise started pointing at the water and saying something in Lingala. Pa Pa John interpreted that Moise said their was snakes in the water and he wasn't getting near it. I wonder who told him that? I doubt he has even seen a lake before. I really enjoyed being outside of the city and finally getting to observe some of the beauty of Africa. After that we stopped by Simon's and picked up the coveted EXIT letter!!!!
Random fact: Moise is scared of the remote control car we brought along and the automatic hand dryer in the bathroom.
Ohhh you won't believe this but we have found a few things so far Moise does not like--- peas and milk.
Sunday
Sunday we woke and finished up our packing then headed over to check in our bags and pay our exit tax. We got some food from El Doro's, a lebanese restaurant and brought it back to the hotel to eat with our friends we have made here at St. Anne's. They had these gi-huge-ic burgers -- topped with cabbage, french fries, and even an egg. Don't diss it until you try it. I would not suggest getting dessert there. Craig also got some falafal. I did not care for it. Pa Pa John said it was like fried cat. He didn't like it either. Before we left Ben and Dixe once again came and got us for a walk along the river in hopes to wear Moise out so he would sleep well and give us a chance to exercise our legs as well. So as we were strolling down near the river John stopped a girl who had some fruit. John said you must try these before you leave. It was called something "star" It was really sweet and good. I so wish I could of filled my bags with some of those and a few fresh pineapples. As we walked along I watched the big chunks of grass and soil/sticks floating by. We were told those come from far, far, up the river where it is more jungle like - and sometimes they get to be so big it looks like a small island floating through. Eventually the rain and the rapids would break it apart. Though conversation was pleasant I found my thoughts reflecting on our past week in Congo. The moments of pure, unconfined JOY when I met my son for the first time. When I felt like I finally stepped into a moment that had been waiting for me my entire life. Then other moments..... when I would bite my lip hard and fight back tears as I seen suffering, dying children right before my eyes or the cold gnawing in my stomach as I watched Moise pick every crumb from our plates or thought of him laying on a street somewhere, abandoned, sick, unable to walk. I have truly spent my spectrum of emotions here in the DRC.
We drove to the airport that evening, one last time through China town. The fumes of burning oil and pollution assaulted my senses as silhouettes of scurrying people danced through the beams of our headlights. One after another, the trucks and buses would pass by, people sardined into every crevice possible. 4 or 5 on a motorcycle was a common sight. The honking of the horns that had startled me upon my arrival now seemed lulled together creating a background music signaling the rolling of the credits, as my time in the DRC drew to a close. Upon arrival at the airport I gave Pa Pa John a hug and choked back tears, fumbling with words. I look at Moise, his hand in mine…and though I will miss the country and the people whom are permanently seared upon my heart, I knew it was time to take my boy home.
I am currently researching agencies that can help me adopt from the DRC. Can you private message me at arbolton@gmail.com so I can ask you a couple questions about your agency and your experience? I want to make sure I pick an ethical agency that treats people fairly, is honest, and is experienced in arranging Congolese adoptions. Thank you so much.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your journey! We have just mailed application to USCIS to adopt in the DRC. Great to read about your experiences in the Congo. Congratuations on receiving your son!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing. We, too, are adopting from the DRC. I cannot tell you the joy our family has for yours. Be blessed as finish your journey TO your son and begin your journey WITH him.
ReplyDelete