Friday, January 20, 2012

Wednesday & Thursday in the DRC

Wednesday



The very first thing we did on Wednesday was go to the Consulate to pick up Moise's VISA and get our "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL YOU GET TO THE USA PACKET".  LOL :-)  We were seriously in and out in 5 minutes.  I guess it was just good timing.  The other family staying here that is also adopting said they waited 45 minutes.  Everything was ready to go and we spoke to Daniele briefly.  She was very nice.  We returned to St. Anne's and waited for Simon to meet us so he could collect what he needed for the DGM.  While we waited I logged onto the internet and showed Pa Pa John a few pictures of Cohen and Manny.  Alicia, he even got to watch the video of Nathan walking.  His computer is broken right now so he has not been online for awhile.  I also introduced him to the world of blogging.  He really thinks I am a crazy American I think.  I told him it is where I go to write a story about what I am doing on the Congo.  He understood, saying it was like a book.  Things went well at the DGM and Simon said we should have our exit letter on Saturday.  I hope he is right and we are able to keep our scheduled flight back home Sunday evening.  

My favorite picture of Moise and I walking in the courtyard of St. Anne's that John took.
He is a very good photographer.  All the dated pictures are his and we appreciate his 
willingness to take soooo many photos of us.


For lunch we ate a Lebanese sandwich.  It was a tortilla shell and inside was chicken, cabbage and they even throw some fries on top.  It was very good.  I liked it a lot.  For the first time, Moise said that he was full and could not eat anymore.  He left a little bit of his sandwich.  It was such a good feeling to hear him say that he was full.  Of course he said it in Lingala and John translated.  Now he pulls up his shirt and shows his belly when he is full.  It is very cute.

We had not really planned much to do so we decided to go to the Thieves Market as they call it, and get a few souvenirs.  I found the Thieves Market very overwhelming - everyone trying to talk to you and wanting you to look at their stuff.  I have been to an open market in Ecuador -- Otavalo -- so thought I was prepared for this experience but in Congo the people are much more aggressive to make a sale.  At times John would fire off a stampede of Lingala and French to tell them to just let me look and quit bothering me.  I was thankful.  All was going well until Moise said "Ko Suba" meaning I got to go to the bathroom.  This time it was #2.  Not a problem in America where toilets are easily accessible.  However there is no toilets at the open market in Congo.  So John starts scrambling asking people about where Moise could go. Moise is dancing, trying to hold it. I WANTED to crawl in a HOLE and die.  I was so embarrassed.  For what seemed like an eternity, though in reality was only a few minutes, John quickly communicated our need which was spread through the crowd similar to the game telephone.  Before we knew it the whole place was fixated on us -- saying "Suba"  people were pointing and talking and half the vendors had left their station to see the situation unfold.  Before we knew it the man who owned a building close by unlocked his fence so Craig and Niko (our driver) could take Moise to use his bathroom.  By this time John was laughing and laughing.  I laughed but only to try to prevent myself from crying because we had become a spectacle and I felt like a horrible mom.  But how would I know? He does very well during the day and doesn't not have accidents so I am not going to keep him in a pull-up, though after this I am carrying one just in case.  So much for "blending" in… right.  Not that I do anyway with my white, white skin.  At the time very stressful, but looking back on it I can now laugh.  Without that story, I wouldn't have the video of Pa Pa John imitating Moise's potty dance as he retold the story. We were dying laughing - and I told him I was going to upload it to Facebook.  Of course, he was delighted for me to do so. Even Moise was laughing at his story and Pa Pa John imitating him.  Ohhhh my!!  We left quickly afterward, not even finishing our shopping.  So travel tip for anyone planning to visit - pack a pull-up just in case.

The little wooden shed by the tree was the potty we ended up rushing him to.



To thank Niko and John for saving the day we treated them to ice-cream.  (Which is when Pa Pa John reenacted the potty dance right in the City Market) Moise had ice-cream for the first time and he really liked it a lot.  I think he would probably eat anything at this point.  I have heard that at first they will eat anything and then sometimes when you get them back home they will get more picky.  We hung out there quite sometime just talking and hanging out before retiring to our hotel for the evening.   



While Craig got caught up on the internet news, Moise and I hung out together.  We looked at his picture book (I blogged about it earlier - been his favorite thing) and then started to act out what the animals do and sound like.  He was teaching me Lingala words and I was teaching him English.  I showed him how to walk like a penguin and he laughed and laughed.  Then he would imitate me.  It was so fun.  He is picking up things really fast and is very smart.  Almost too smart for his own good.  

So far most of the fit throwing we have had is over pushing buttons.  I know fellow adoptive moms will relate.  It is a tedious process - No, Tay, No, Tay don't touch that.  We bought a remote control car and thought -- yeah, he can play with the switches on this but no, he is scared of it.  He likes laying on the bed and watching it when Craig drives it around but he will no get on the floor with it.  When he throws a fit he throws a fit.  He has been in time out about three times now. Twice over buttons (we are very lienent in this area or he would be in time out all day) and then last night because he kept trying to bite Craig.  I don't know why.  They were rough housing a bit playing and then he kept trying to bite him.  Maybe he was hungry?!  LOL  He only does this with Craig, not once has he tried to bite me.  For the most part he is soooo sweet.  Just today he is learning to kiss my cheek when I tell him.  He also came up to me this evening and kissed my hand when greeting me.  It was soooo sweet.  This morning I was folding laundry and Moise started to help me fold it.  He also likes to share, which is surprising.  He tried to share his sucker the other day and some noodles we had for supper.  For breakfast Moise likes to dip his bread/toast in his tea.  Not sure where he got this but another girl here that is being adopted at the hotel does the same thing.  When he was done he had a bit of tea left full of crumbs.  Without thinking he dumped it on the floor.  I quickly assessed he didn't even think about it because he is not used to having a floor.  Where he lived and ate, it was dirt.  I often have these sobering thoughts, especially when he picks up every crumb from his plate, my plate, and Craig's plate.  
Ohhhh to be together - finally still amazes me after dreaming about him for so long.



Ok, onto to recap today…. Thursday.  Though we are the only family here from our agency there has been several other families here who are adopting as well so that has been very nice to share conversations of our days at breakfast or when we see them.  We have met lots of interesting people here at St. Annes.  

Today we went to Simon's orphanage Zape.  It is very nice.  A lot of the formula went here.  Some of it was stored to be given away later.  I so enjoyed my time at Zape and it was very hard for me to leave.  The kids were wonderful and this time we were able to interact and play with the kids, something we did not do much at the other orphanages.  The kids were well fed and happy.  The caretakers were very fun and one of them spoke a little English so we could communicate some.  I met Simon's wife and his mother as well.  





When we first arrived Moise refused to go in.  I quickly told John to translate that we were just visiting that we were not leaving him here.  I had done this in the car when we visited KaKa but had not when we visited.  After John reassured him he would go home with ma ma and pa pa he willingly came with us.  John said he will not go back to this life now that he knows what is to be loved.  I may cry a river when I return home from all the times I have held back tears.  

We taught the kids how to play ring around the rosy.  They loved it.  I had taught Moise the night before so he was excited to play it with some friends.  Then the children taught me a few of the song type games that they play.  It was very fun.  Craig gave them horsey rides on his lap and they would laugh and laugh.  Many of them tried on his sunglasses and I would take pictures and show it to them and they loved it.  Ohh how people there love to have their picture taken.  I have multiple pictures of strangers that just wanted us to take their picture so they could see it.  Another tip for future travelers -- sunglasses to hand out at the orphanage would be a great hit.  They love them.  We also gave them some jolly ranchers.  They were all so sweet.  I know a few of my CBC family have a child there… I will try to write to you soon and get you a picture.  Just know the children are well loved and taken care of.  We also took a bit of video.  :-)  I know how much this means to you waiting at home among your pile of paperwork.  

Here is the baby that will be enjoying that formula. Thank you to all of you who donated last minute to fill our duffle bag.  It was such a blessing.  Also thank you Chandra and my mom for donating the cloth diapers.  They were very happy when I showed them how they worked.  


After our fun at ZAPE with the children we went to the river.  It was very beautiful.  Moise wasn't sure what to think.  We tried to get him to look at the sheep (thought of you Christie when I took picture of them) but he was scared of them.  I don't think he has ever been around any kind of animal.  I know from reading other adoptive mom's blogs they are not fond of dogs.  The river was really beautiful and I am glad we drove to see it and got pictures with Moise there.  



After our busy morning/afternoon we were very hungry so we went for Portuguese Pizza.  John insisted we try both pizza places to see which one was the best.  I tried to be unbiased Julia, but I think I like the Portuguese pizza better :-)  Sorry.  LOL

I stopped a bought a little bit of fabric before we returned home to call it a day.  I noticed that today I sunburnt a little bit.  I put sunscreen on my face but not on my arms and today it was very hot.  I do not mind.  I might come back with a tan.  :-)  

So yes, we are still enjoying our time in Congo very much.  Cherishing moments and even though there are times when my heart breaks at what I see…. I still feel hope for this country and these people.  We have been embraced with so much kindness every where we go.  It is overwhelming.  

Tomorrow we will have a lazy day at the hotel.  My only plan… to get popcorn at the H market.  I tried to go the other day -- it was holiday.  I tried to go again -- the guy was not there.  I must have popcorn before I leave.  Also, we are meeting Dixie and Ben, who we have heard many good things about.  You will be happy to hear Alicia as well that they are planning to pick up the beds for AFDECO on Saturday.  She promised me she would take pictures.

Time to sign off for now… Auvoir!! 

1 comment:

  1. So excited to see the update! Love the pictures, they really do tell the story. The woman holding the baby is beautiful. Love the colors of fabric you have been wearing and looking forward to seeing the fabric you bought there.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Divine Moments

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...