Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Compassion is not enough.

MAWA- Compassion

I found out yesterday that Moise's last name MAWA means compassion. Today we visited a very poor orphanage called KaKa. I already know this will be a very difficult entry to write but it needs to be shared. Here is compassion defined:

compassion |kəmˈpaSHən|:
sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others: the victims should be treated with compassion.  ORIGIN Middle English: via Old French from ecclesiastical Latin compassio(n-), from compati ‘suffer with.’

Here is the story I want to tell… Compassion is not enough. These children do not want your pity or concern. They realistically need your help. They are not some picture, flashed across your television, they are real dying children. This is the third orphanage I have visited during our time here and this orphanage was the poorest of them all. I have visited others that our agency has worked with and due to someone caring to make a difference, they have improved by leaps and bounds. Yes, the big difference between dying children and a well maintained supported orphanage is one person caring enough to make a difference. One decision to suffer a few comforts in our America lives to sponsor a child, send vitamins, formula, support an adoptive family etc…
I was biting my lip, fighting back tears the entire time as the director, a saint of a lady, showed us where the children lived. The last thing she told me was "Please, let the people in America know about us. I need help for these children." It was her passion for education that stirred me the most as she showed me all the potential for many classrooms, and various black boards. Another thought hit me hard as we drove away… I was so worried that the hardest part of this trip would be in how to take care of Moise when he was scared and taken from all that he has ever known. It has not been. The hardest part was today, driving from that orphanage knowing that unless something was done some of those children would die. The reality smacked me hard..and I found myself once again begging God's forgiveness for my excessive life and selfishness. I knew this trip would change me deeply... but I never new it would rub me raw. Those children's faces are burned into my memory, their smiles so big as I told them in Lingala they were beautiful.



For my teens who are reading this post: Please think of this classroom when you complain about having to go to school. So many here would trade places with you in a minute just to get and education.

Why compassion is not enough.


Though the morning was very intense, we had a very relaxed afternoon and were able to eat some wonderful Congolese food. So after I might of made you cry, I hope you to make you laugh, because boy oh boy can Moise eat. The hardest thing I do all day is telling him No more food. More later. Well, today we had chicken and I carefully picked off the meat and put the bones off to the side. We were enjoying our food and conversation when Craig suddenly said - Where is Moise's other chicken bone? We looked on his lap, the floor and then John asked him - "Did you eat the chicken bone?" in Lingala and Moise shook his head yes. He ate a stinking chicken bone!!! How did he even gnaw through it, I don't know. Oh my! I wish I could tell him, now that he is with mama and papa he will always have food but he does not understand.



My favorite part of the day was when we awoke first thing this morning. It rained last night and we were looking outside. He called me ma ma and pointed outside excitedly and mumbled something in Lingala. I said What? He looked at me and sighed.. and said "What? What? What?" I guess he is tired of me asking him that. LOL. His first English word - What? Though he is understanding others, especially shoes. I will tell him shoes and he will go put them on. He learns very quickly. I have been working on my Lingala with John (Have I told you lately how awesome John is?!) and picking up some basic phrases and this has helped a lot. Another night and he went to sleep with no problem. I did not sleep well last night and stayed up for an hour just staring at him sleeping next to me. Sometimes I still feel as if I am dreaming to be here with him. Today's meltdown was over playing with the light switches in the room, off and on. It is so funny to him. Ohhh how he laughs and laughs when you tell him No. He is beginning to understand we will not let him get away with things even if he is stinking cute as can be. We also watched an animal video while we were waiting at John's house and he did not like the sharks on the video -- inching very close to me. He is very shy when we go some where (much like Ryan--I have read your other remarks on similarities between them on Facebook) and does not say much but back in our room he is very ornery and silly. A few pictures below I wrote about in my previous entry.





Tomorrow is our big day. While most of you are sleeping -- 3 a.m. your time - 10 a.m. here we will be going to the consulate to get Moise's VISA. Please pray this goes well and all is in order. Once we have that we can work on getting our exit letters from DGM. Hoping to get that in 4 days since we were unable to pick up last week as planned and lost two days due to holidays here in the Congo. If that happens we will fly back as scheduled. If not, we may be in country longer.

I wish I could respond to each of you - but know that I am reading your messages as time allows and they are such an encouragement to us both. Your prayers are lifting us up, lending us strength, and helping us to stay focused on the task at hand. Keep praying for us!! We need it.

Also wanted to upload this picture for my CBC friends of the kids at OLJ. They really stole my heart. Beautiful children and a great orphanage. I heard much about Catherine and the support she has been through One Small Step. You can sponsor a child to go to school for an entire year I believe for $160.





   


  

6 comments:

  1. What an amazing adventure God has taken you on! I love to hear the stories of Moise & my kids are glued to the computer looking at pictures of him while I read your posts to them. Please know we are praying for your family!
    God bless,
    Karen Butner

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed reading your posts. Thank you for sharing the pictures and the stories. Our baby girl is in Kinshasa right now. I can't wait until we are where you are. I will be praying you get the visa as planned and can return home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recognize that metal cabinet!!!!!! 209????
    SO wonderful to read your posts and see the pics! Thank you SO much for this! Praying for you guys and missing Congo! Tell John hello from us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect post, Tessy. Thank you so much! I am living vicariously in Congo through you. Glad it's your turn. Sorry for the trouble. Praying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. praying for the kids in the Congo in the orphanages.
    It's so amazing to follow your journey to meet your son. Thanks for all the great posts. He is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for posting all of this! Congrats....and your son is just beautiful! I have a request while you are there if at all possible. Please email me if you can: keeladavis@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Divine Moments

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...