Friday, August 24, 2012

Monthly Update: Zalen 7 months home

7 months home as of yesterday...
Where has the time gone?
Summer flew by so quickly.




With school starting we are back in a routine and Zalen and I have started our Pre-K lessons together.  Up to this point we have worked on basic English with flash cards and videos but we haven't done "sit down" lessons.  For the past 6 months we have really focused on "basic" skills.  Getting dressed without our clothes being on backward, brushing teeth, picking up toys, learning how to eat at the table,  (still eats so fast but at least he is keeping his mouth closed while he chews), how to wipe properly etc.  We didn't do lessons but each few weeks I would focus on a particular topic.  For example, we focused on learning his body parts in English and another week manners.  Later we moved onto cooking in the kitchen and what things are called in there.  We have spent a lot of time in the kitchen together as his world still revolves around food a lot!  I often felt I was doing my own cooking show because I would dialogue everything I was doing to help him with his English.

We have also spent the last 6 months working on sensory and physical activities.  He came home with very weak legs.  He complained a lot when we walked too much and stairs especially bothered him.  He was just awkward with a lot of basic things... swinging, could not jump at all, would rather walk then run, etc...   It is amazing how far he has come along in this department.   Good nutrition has a lot to do with it.  As you can see his latest obsession is with jumping.  I am not sure if this boy has ever been strong enough to "jump" before because once he figured out how to "jump over things" it became an obsession.  So I had to feature it in the above 7 month video.

We are starting to now work on Pre-K skills since his English is finally to a point where we can communicate better.  We are learning the alphabet, colors, and shapes.  

This past month he went to the dentist.  Everything checked out fine.  He said that he was probably closer to five then four but not older then 5.  He has had a major growth spurt over the summer and is now taller then the twins.

Here is a few more things Zalen did in August...
Played with Ryan - Love my boys!

Met his Grandpa Hubler for the first time

Met his Grandma Hubler for the first time

Met lots of cousins

And even more cousins, aunts, and uncles at the family reunion

Five of Zalen's favorite things to do

1.  Zalen loves to push the stroller around the yard.  Last night he went inside and got his monkey and was pushing it around.  Today the monkey went on more adventures in the stroller and got to swing!  I think the stuffed monkey is a fill-in for when the other kids are at school.

 

2. Hang out and play with his siblings and cousins

3. Cook with Mama 

 

4. Go on walks and race to the hay bales.
5. Play games on the computer.  I can't believe how well he has done with using the mouse.  

Hoping next week to do a post on some learning activities we have been doing :-) 

Just a note: We were the friday family featured on the Lifesong webpage.  Lifesong is a great ministry and we received a matching grant from them.  Family Friday: Craig & Tessy

2 comments:

  1. I find it odd that you claim to have a heart for the people of Congo, yet you gave your Congolese son a monkey. A monkey! Unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so  much for adding us and your sweet comment! Your family looks like such fun! I will be reading your blog to catch up on your adoption story. Our son is at ZAPE orphanage. Where was Zalen? I would love any advice/encouragement from someone who just went, we are hoping to travel in the next few months. 

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Divine Moments

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...