I was told that my Congolese son would love sweet potatoes/yams. I don't cook with them a lot. I need to get them in our menu rotation more, because he indeed does enjoy them. Of course, he enjoys all food. I have not had to deal with a picky eater like some have had. Fufu is also a big food in the DRC, though I never ate any of it.
So I thought I'd share this recipe and information from my African cookbook - Mother Africa's table. It is a recipe from West Africa.
YAM is a term often used in the U.S. for the moist, dark orange variety of sweet potato. True yams are seldom grown in the U.S. but can be found in most Hispanic markets; they are usually cut into chunks and sold by weight.
I can't but help think of Micronesia when we mention yams. Our good friends are missionaries there and they grow some big yams. Anyhoo, onto the recipe....
Yam and Sweet Potato Fufu
1 pound yams, peeled (see below)
1 teaspoon salt
1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled (2 to 3 medium)
1. Place whole peeled yams in a pot with salt and enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered over medium-high heat until the yams begin to soften. The cooking time will vary depending on size.
2. Add the peeled sweet potatoes to the same pot and continue cooking for about 15 minutes. Remove each yam and sweet potato when tender. Check for doneness by piercing with a knife. Do not let overcook or yams and sweet potatoes will absorb too much water.
3. To prepare fufu in the traditional method, place the drained yams and sweet potatoes in a wooden bowl *I need a wooden bowl - do they still make those? :-)* Pound the yams and sweet potatoes with a mallet in small batches until smooth and satiny. Continue mixing and mashing until doughlike. Do not add water. (Or you may use a food processor and process until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the workbowl) *What fun is in that though?-- Go buy a wooden bowl and get to pounding -- It is about the experience* Mound the fufu into desired sizes and shapes.
4. Serve with stews, soups, or vegetable sauces.
I want to try these some time if I ever can track down a yam. Happy authentic yam shopping!!
No comments:
Post a Comment