Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Discontent

I wrote this on my other blog and didn't intend to post here which is more public, but after writing I felt led to throw it all out there.  I guess I still have a ways to go on the whole transparency thing.

Discontent.

The kind of discontent that drains your soul.

For over a year... I had one purpose....Bring my son home.  It was my mission.  It filled up my life--anticipation, prayer, paperwork, appointments, fundraisers, etc...  Every time a new picture or update would arrive in my e-mail my day would be so full of JOY and PRAISE.  It united our family deeply as we prepared our hearts for a new son, a new brother.  It took my FAITH to a desperate, depend on God at every moment, kind of place and I drank it up -- my cup overflowed time and time again as prayers were answered and miracles happened before my very eyes.  Then I traveled to Africa, stepped into a moment that had been waiting for me my entire life, and embraced my son.  My week spent in Africa was amazing, heart-wrenching, and life changing.  I have never in my life felt more alive.

Then I returned back to my life as I knew it.  The first month was full of rejoicing as everyone met Zalen.  It was full of tender moments as God knit us together, teaching each of us a new way to love.  Bringing a 3 year old home is very different then bringing your baby home.  You know so little about him.  I am still yearning for that deep connection I have with my other children.  I understand that takes time -- I have built that bond with my other children since birth.  Yet, I rejoiced at how Zalen just fit within the family.  Yes, there were adjustments but I was amazed at how well we meshed and stood once again amazed at how God works in all the details.  There were also amazing moments where friends and family got to meet him.  Some expecting a shy, withdrawn child were stunned when Zalen beamed his contagious smile, wrapped them up in a hug and received them with a warm accented "Hallo!"

It was shortly after the 1 month mark when things started going array.  I wrote on my adoption blog: I'm not sure who I am anymore.  What I once wanted out of life seems meaningless.  So many layers gone, I feel exposed and vulnerable.  But more importantly I feel ready to grow.  I am ready for God to teach me. 

I feel ready to grow...  I don't think I had any idea it would be painful and at times extremely lonely. 
It was a little over a month when the emotions started to overwhelm me.  The experiences of my time in the DRC started to filter into my dreams, children's faces; the pleading eyes of Philemon asking us to be a voice, to not forget; the man at the restaurant who asked us to take his brother's son home..... I ached for Africa.  I threw myself into my 7 challenge which I had already pledged to do before I even left.  It may sound crazy, but this 7 challenge against excess has been an act of confession and cleansing that my soul deeply needs.  With each phase I am asking God to forgive me for my excess and begging Him to help me understand why He ripped out a place in my heart and then sent me back home.

I confessed my guilt. To God, friends, family, and tried to vent it out through my writing.  I tried to excuse the emotions and find some sort of "normal" again.  I am shamed to say that when that "normal" did not happen... I got angry.  I got sad.  I was just all over the map.  I longed for people to understand where I was, how I felt. I didn't get why they didn't understand the urgency I felt in my heart that WE HAVE TO CHANGE - WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING TO HELP.  I didn't understand why I didn't have a dozen or so people jumping up and down to join my experiment against excess.  I started to really get angry at the complacency of people, the church, and if I am frankly honest walked a fine line of being self-righteous.  Don't worry Jesus is always quick to knock me off my high horse.  He swiftly reminded me that I was the same way before my own adoption journey, before He opened my eyes.  Once knocked off, I was just sad.  I was more then sad.  I was grieving.  Grieving that people around me thought the story was over because Zalen was home.  The story isn't over, I wanted to shout, Do you know how many I left behind?

I listened to my husbands frustrations as I sobbed all the way home from our date night because I felt guilty for spending too much.  "You are not going to change things by jumping down into the well with them," he said.  "Someone has to be the person at the top sending down the bucket to help them out."  I didn't care.  I told him I wanted to jump down into the well.  I kept going through the motions, the guilt eating away.  The desire to serve the least of these growing deeper.  The turmoil came to a head and I hit the altar one Sunday morning pouring out my guilt to God, surrendering that I would trust Him with this process, even if it hurt.

We hit the 2 month mark of Zalen being home and I knew I needed to pull myself together.  I didn't want to be so focused on my inner turmoil that I missed the blessing right before me.  My son was home.  He needed me.  My other children needed me.  I started focusing on them. As always, so much JOY comes from just being a mom.  Yet each night when my mommy role relaxed as they were each tucked into bed, my heart returned to Congo.  All the inner turmoil resurfaced as I prepared for a small group lesson one afternoon.  What am I willing to give up to follow Jesus?  What is the cost for me?"   In some way, I am searching for the treasure hidden in the field.  I want that unfathomable joy.  I just feel that is where we, as a church, as Christians go wrong.  We think we can follow Jesus without the cost.  It always costs.  You know what is hitting me right now like a ton of bricks is WHAT IT COST HIM!  We want the JOY, the blessing, without the cost.

In that small group -- I was honestly questioned - "Isn't there a time in your life when you can relax and just enjoy the blessings God has given you?  Do you always have to strive to do more, be more?"  Don't I?  I don't know.  Is it wrong to feel so discontented with where I am at?  I feel it is God that has placed that discontentment there -- so I would search for the hidden treasure.  I know God loves me.  I am secure as His child.  I am just not secure in my purpose.  He is remolding me.  He has opened my eyes to things of which I can not ignore.  My life has been changed.  To just be ok with where I am right now seems to be just like putting new wine back into old bottles.  It makes no sense.  You see this adoption journey was not just a fresh coat of paint on my soul -- it was more like a demolition party.  I am trying to rebuild with His blueprint this time, not the American dream that I have been fed all my life.

I understand... People like content people.  Content people are comfortable.  Discontent people are restless.  In fact it is defined as -- a restless desire or craving for something one does not have.  I do not have a clear understanding of what God wants from me right now.  He wants me here, yet my heart is torn between two continents.  My discontent makes me edgy, a bit crazy, but my desire to know God is intense.  I am sorry if I make you uncomfortable.  I am sorry that I drive you nuts about projects and Africa and loving orphans, but it has become the beat of my heart.  I am sad to know that I will lose some of you due to those that are unwilling to accept it nor connect with it.  I can't focus on you anymore.  My aim must be to please God.  I am thankful for those who are with me, the ones God is using to encourage me, to continue to be a voice.  In just the last week, He has sent two different people my way just to encourage me.  I also am thankful for your patience with me -- Like when I cry in Sunday School and you offer to me the transparency of your own heart.  I needed that.  To know I am not alone.

Wrong or right... I feel that the discontent is part of the process.

5 comments:

  1. If other think you're doing something wrong then you are definitely doing something right! Following Jesus isn't easy. You are a beautiful example to me and so many others. I thank the Lord for you everyday my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog through my friend Tiffany and I am already starting to get all this, even though we are early in our journey. I am scared to even think about how much more intense this will get once we have been there and seen it all. Thanks for being so honest and sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Tessy,

    We are early in the process (waiting on a referral) so I don't know exactly how you feel. However, I travelled to Uganda for 2 weeks last summer working with orphan care and felt completely "wrecked" after returning.

    I can still remember the guilt, restlessness, sadness, discontentment, and a host of other feelings for several weeks (months?) following my return. I had a difficult knowing how to respond and wanting nothing more than to walk the red dirt again and hold/worship with/play with children and teens at the ministries of Sixty Feet, Amazima, and Cannan's Children's Home.

    Still today, I long to do more and even feel guilty for so much focus/resources on our adoption and not so much on those who will never be adopted yet need so much.

    So, there with you, and more so in the days to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is what we should be feeling as christians, I am have not adopted(although it looks as though we may in a few years)but I am finding this aching is so strong in those that adopt and in other passions that God gives to specific people(pro life movement/sanctity of life etc).I am petrified that this is what God is going to have for me as well in the future- as I already feel a urgency in a few areas of christian life where i want to scream at my friends/church" SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING" why are we talking about it as something that we might do someday instead of just praying about it seriously and doing as he calls? I am guilty myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you posted your true feelings on this blog. Right now I'm living overseas for a work assignment, where we have been for four years. Soon we are heading back "home" to the U.S. Many of things that you mention here, I feel like I have felt. Something happens when God allows you to be removed from your normal context and see things from a different perspective. As Americans we have been taught to consume, buy & indulge and have been looked up to for doing so. But I think God is opening the eyes of several American Christians because we have been going astray while the rest of the world is dying without food AND without Christ. Books like "Radical" by David Platt and "Interrupted" by Jen Hatmaker, along with Scripture has caused me to look at these things too. Like you, I feel like I may be alone in this endeavor...but I am encouraged and you should be too! We are obviously NOT alone. God is moving...our job is to be OBEDIENT and to TRUST Him in this. Continue doing the things He leads you to do. Serve & bless others and tell them about the love of Jesus that compels you to do so. In closing I'm reminded of a great quote by Jim Elliot (who died as a missionary) "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." God, Himself is our reward, girl! Hang in there and keep the honest blog entries coming!

    Blessings,
    Joelle

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Divine Moments

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...