Wednesday, March 14, 2012

7: and value others above yourselves

Why is it when you only have one pair of jeans to wear the messes flock to them?  Seriously.  I am trying to get a couple days wear out of them before I wash them--- but this has seemed almost impossible.

So far my 7 articles of clothing challenge is going well.  I have had a couple of times when I really wished I could wear something else.  One was when we went out for my birthday and the other was when we went to the concert.  I have only deviated from my list once, and that was to exchange my lt. grey sweatshirt for a heavy hoodie b/c it was raining and I thought I might need it to stand in line at the concert.

More then missing my clothes I am missing my hats and jewelry.  I like accessories.  I don't have a lot of jewelry but the pieces I do have I love.  Many are from different parts of the world and I love them.  I am actually surprised that I miss wearing them because I would not of thought of myself as someone who likes jewelry.

I'm still striving to find a balance with all this materialism here, but I am getting closer.  I bought a couple new spring couch pillows on clearance at Wal-mart the other day and I didn't cry about it.  I did think about it, though.  I did have a flag that this was a "wanted" item, not a needed item.  I am enjoying my pillows and the little bit of spring they bring to the living room.  I have two garbage bags of clothes I am giving to friends so as the new things come in, I feel good to get rid of a few others.

I wore my mis-matched flip-flops yesterday.  They got a lot of questions from my kids and family.  "Did you know you were wearing two different flip-flops?"  I then got to explain that they were to remind me to pray for the DRC and I told them about all the times we would be driving through Kinshasa and see kids with mis-matched shoes.

I feel like I am learning.... slowly... but learning that I don't have to be guilty for the way I live as long as I accept the responsibility that I have been given much so that I can give more.  Does that make sense?  I also feel that that this experiment against excess is showing that I am more worldly then I ever realized and that there is still sections of my life that can be reevaluated so I can give more.  I am not just talking about money, but my time as well.

I have found that in general I am a very selfish person.  But what bothers me the most is I am teaching my kids to be that way as well when I focus so much on them, our little family, and our little life.  I keep going back to the verse God laid on my heart for this year... "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves,  not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others." 

It is easy to say, yes, I do value others.  I am a very caring person.  It is the "not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of others" that proves a challenge to me.  I simply like to do what interests me.  It shows in our actions and how we spend our time.  It can quickly be evaluated by a simple question?  "What have I done for others this week?  today?  Have I sacrificed a bit of my time to be a blessing to someone else?"  Not just our neighbors, friends, and family but also to our husbands and children.  A mound of laundry is still taking up my entire living room because I intentionally chose to be present with my children.  It was a beautiful day and they needed me to be present in it - not inside cleaning away.  I heard about boats that could magically fly through the air due to the magic potion poured upon it and I tasted a delicious soup made of water, leaves, grass and other organic items that Zalen had made.  I learned about different kinds of monsters that live in my backyard and we threw a frisbee for awhile.  My interest was to catch up on my housework but if I would have completed all that was on my list, look at all I would of missed.

I am also humbled to share that project KaKa is already off to an amazing start.  My friend from college, Cassie, challenged her youth to help with this project.  I received a note from her that they have already raised over $200.  I was amazed!!!

And then a message from my friend Christie saying her daughter could not wait for the yard sale to start helping out and she posted this picture on facebook of E. collecting her change/money in her Congo jar (what a beautiful heart!!):

The children are setting the precedent for us adults.  Still hoping to raise $500 through our yard sale and donations for this project.  We are trying to nail down a date for it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Divine Moments

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...