Friday, December 27, 2013

Reflection of 2013

Dear Divine Moments Community,

I can hardly believe that 2014 will soon be knocking on our door.  This leaves me reflecting over the past year and what a year it has been.  I started this blog to chronicle my adoption journey.  I kept it going after Zalen was home because I wanted it to be a resource for orphan care, adoption, and a sounding board for all I was experiencing post-Africa.  This little space has helped me to find my place after the airport.  This past year my goal was to focus on uniting a community that was passionate about serving and being a voice for "the least of these" so I started a facebook fan page.  

My goal was inspired by an adoption T-shirt that I bought from a friend.  (I'm a bit of an adoption T-shirt addict)  On the front the shirt reads UBUNTU, an ancient African philosophy.




Something in this resounded deep in my soul.... individuals getting connected and therefore affecting the world. It was a deep soul sigh that could not be ignored.

I really struggled that first year after bringing Zalen home.  God had opened my eyes, left a chunk of my heart in Africa, and completely messed up my world.  I felt lonely, misunderstood, and separated from my pre-adoption life.  I knew life would never be the same.  I couldn't continue to live the same way I did before.  God had showed to me a piece of his heart and it ignited a zeal that could not be put out.  I began to pray about all of this and what I could possibly do to make a difference.  I heard one whisper over and over "Be a Voice and Share this Passion!" 

I sit here today humbled that God has connected each of you here, through this blog and the simple obedience to share my heart and be a voice for the children/people I met.  I no longer struggle with feeling alone because God has surrounded me with people who share this passion.  I have been moved to tears as children, teens, and adults have started to believe that together we can make a difference.  I have experienced many divine moments this past year through your willingness to put love in action. 


 Thank you for believing that every life matters!
Thank you for putting LOVE in ACTION.
Thank you for always responding to the Rally Call.
Thank you for every encouraging e-mail you have sent my way.
Thank you for allowing me to pray your children home.
Thank you for sharing your fundraisers and ideas.  

Now rejoice with me as you see how working together we can make a difference!


Highlights of 2013:

• School Sponsorship for 14 children through Mwangaza International

• Seeing pictures of the school near the orphanage we visited in Africa finished!!
I blogged about this project in April here: Kaka school update
LOOK AT THIS:




• Raising around $1500 for two Christmas Projects - 
SHOES for the Pygmy Children and 
$$ for a Community Christmas program for the Goma area through Rudi International.
Youth volunteers who helped coordinate the activities through Rudi International
(photo by Rudi International)

The kids excitedly showing off their art projects!
(photo by Rudi International)

 Due to exceeding the goal Rudi was able to also gift some of the mothers in the area.
Here are the mothers gathered in our "Encourage Mothers" program. 
Each one of them received a package!
(photo by Rudi International)

• Growing the community to almost 200 fans via facebook

 I am looking forward to seeing what God will do with the Divine Moments 
community in 2014.  I hope you will join us for another exciting year as we 
continue to put LOVE in ACTION!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Divine Moments

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...