I am getting excited about our upcoming fundraiser yard sale that we are having which has turned into a combined effort of our small group and our church pitching in items as well. Our yard sale will be June 1st and 2nd during the city wide garage sales so I am hoping for a great turn out. All proceeds made will go toward building the school at Kaka in the Democratic Republic of the Congo! If you have read my blog for awhile or know me personally you know how much this project means to me. So if your local, please stop by and shop we will have something for everyone. Don't need stuff? We are still taking donations and we will need help cleaning up what is left Saturday at 3:00 p.m.
I am currently on a journey to read through the Bible in a year. On my reading plan through youversion.com I have been in 1st Samuel. (I love reading the stories of David-- I relate to him so much in that I have such a heart for God but in the same breathe can be such a screw-up!) The story that I have been reflecting on is when the ark was stolen from the Israelites by the Philistines. Eli upon hearing the news, fell backward and broke his neck, and died. His daughter-in-law announced "The glory has departed from Israel" (1 Sam. 4:22)
Here is what stood out to me: The people had more trust in this physical object then they did on God. God took away the ark so that the people would trust in him and show that His presence rests in our relationship with him not within an object, even one as sacred as the ark of the covenant.
How many times do I find my comfort in objects? What I own...how much money I have....how I am able to provide... etc... I believe a lot of security is found in our money and the "safeguards" we think we have due to it. Or maybe our issue is wanting objects for that security.. If only I had.... To take it a bit farther a lot of our distractions from God our found in what we buy with our money... TV, video games, books, computer/internet, cell phones, iPads, etc.... I am focused on a lot of media because media is next month's challenge.
I loved this quote that I came across in my devotional:
"It is not the things you have it is the thing that have you which are the problem."A quick inventory of how we spend out time, money, and resources easily show what has us most consumed.
I am learning the beauty in less and also that His grace is sufficient and he will supply my every NEED -- (not wants mind you) so I can relax and rejoice in that.
Some scriptures that have stood out to me through my 30 day reading plan: Generosity: 30 Days Toward Biblical Generosity.
Micah 6:8 But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what God is looking for in men and women. It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, And don't take yourself too seriously— take God seriously.
Matthew 6:20 Stockpile treasure in heaven, where it's safe from moth and rust and burglars.21 It's obvious, isn't it? The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being.
In June I will be unplugging quite a bit for media month. I will try to post one more entry before then.
I always love your insights & enjoy reading your posts (even if they do step on my toes a bit my friend!)
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Karen